– GDT is surprised that a comprehensive internal review of the hiring and retention issues has not been launched by RTD.
– RTD needs to accept that in the last 10 years, the labor market has changed out of all recognition due to innovations such as working from home and gig work.
– The 2022 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between RTD and ATU 1001 has not been successful at solving the hiring and retention problem.
– Operators need to be given the same basic working conditions that RTD senior staff enjoy – access to bathrooms, 30 min meal breaks and the flexibility to change working hours.
– Healthcare and 401k offerings need to be reviewed. Operators should get the same deal as senior staff.
– The shift scheduling system needs to be overhauled and made more flexible using new technology (e.g. the ability for operators to trade shifts online).
– The part time labor market needs to be utilized more.
– RTD needs to be support whistleblower protections for employees.
– “The floor” or minimum legal requirements are no longer good enough and the labor market has already delivered its negative verdict on this.